Tuesday 20 September 2011

Spotlight - Frank Ocean


You know you are in the spotlight when you have two features on one of the most eagerly awaited albums of the year,Watch the Throne.

To be honest earlier in the year I wrote Frank Ocean off before hearing any of his music. I dunno I guess it was the whole Chris Brown, Tyler the Creator twitter drama, and OFWGKTA isn't really my cup of hot chocolate (well not yet) *shrug*; but then I listened to 'Novacane'..... Simply put it was A+. I call this type of music 'gritty R&B'. Mellow yet angsty and rough around the edges. His other songs follow the same lane, avoiding the blatant mushiness you get with some other R&B artists.
Oh and he has some rather 'interesting' videos.

On his VERY GOOD mixtape, Nostalgia-Ultra, Frank Ocean also samples indie tracks which gives his music an interesting spin. I got a pleasant surprise with 'Nature Feels' sampling another MGMT favourite, 'Electric Feel' (I guess I will have to make a spotlight entry on MGMT soon).

For more info check out his blog. You can download his mixtape here

Check out some of his tracks below and the videos for Novacane and Swim Good after the jump.

Novacane


Swim good
Frank Ocean - Swim Good by PopDash

Nature feels
Nature Feels by Frank Ocean

We all try


Novacane

frank ocean [novacane] from christopher francis ocean on Vimeo.

Swim good

frank ocean [swim good] from christopher francis ocean on Vimeo.

No comments:

Post a Comment