Thursday 10 November 2011

Spotlight - The Weeknd


I must say Canadian R&B singer The Weeknd (real name Abel Tesfaye) slowly crept into my consciousness. To be honest I didn't pay him much attention when i first saw his material in my usual watering holes. You see theres a lot of up and coming artists floating around the net that you have to give some that initial miss. Well I finally heard his remix of Florence + The Machine's 'Shake It Out', and i was rather intrigued. Then there was his haunting track ' High For This' (which was featured in the promo for the final season of 'Entourage'). Drake can also be credited with putting his name out there, going as far as featuring him on his album. Needless to say I went on my usual 'search and discover' and downloaded his mixtapes: 'House of Balloons' and 'Thursday'.

I think his music sets a chilled mood in most places and is haunting in others. I also love the sonic spaced out beats he uses. Some comparison has been made to Frank Ocean, but i feel although The Weeknd also has a gritty edge to his R&B, he sticks to the more mellow fare and makes it his own.

Check out some tracks off his mixtapes, Shake it out remix and his feature on Drake's album below.

Also check out his site to find out more about The Weeknd and download his mixtapes.

The Weeknd - High For This


The Weeknd - What You Need


Florence+The Machine - Shake It Out (The Weeknd Remix)


Drake Ft. The Weeknd - Crew Love

No comments:

Post a Comment