Sunday 27 November 2011

Sunday Feature - 8 TV Shows You Should Be Watching


Starting a new feature for sundays. Sharing my opinion on stuff with you lot. Erm lets see how long I keep it up, you know how weekends can be.

When fall season starts i'm usually first in line to check out every almost every new show that comes up. I have noticed that not a lot of people around me share this sentiment. I mean i started 24 right from minute one of hour one of day one back in 2001 (thank you BBC 1 abi 2), and the Lost opening scenes will always be iconic, from the very first shot of jack opening his eye to the crash site chaos on the beach. Now that was what you call starting with a bang! Very 'woah' for me.
I digress.
My point is I came into these shows right from when they started airing, episode 1 season 1, without knowing too much about them or having the whole world rave about them. Its kind of tiring when I introduce peeps to fresh new shows that i think are interesting and they go -__- "Meh. I'll rather stick with desperate housewives", then a year later they come asking me for season 1 and begging me to help them download or something.

So I thought I would share with you guys eight new and not so new shows that we enjoy in the Dubmaster household. I focused on shows that are not really that popular yet(from what i hear around, particularly in Nigeria). You just may discover your new favourite show. Check out the list after the cut.


Awkward (MTV)

MTV's 'Awkward' follows Jenna through the trials and tribulations of being a teenager in high school; an experience that is significantly magnified by an incident that is misunderstood by everyone around her.

On the surface this show comes across like a Mean Girls knock off, with a female protagonist that doesn't quite fit in, but on closer inspection Awkward does have the mean girls features - high school drama, love, conflict,..erm mean girls, but its more realistic and has more spunk and heart. Oh and it is quite entertaining/funny. If anything it has taught me a bunch of obscure 'teen text speak' acronyms like DTR (Define The Relationship), which I will never use. Lol.


Grimm (NBC)

To be honest I thought I wouldn't like this show initially. I saw the trailer and thought "yup another Supernatural wannabe". Yes all the monsters and spooks are here, but this mash up of a cop show and horror series works for me. It gives a refreshing spin to the genre and i am digging the characters and story.

Grimm centres on a homicide detective who learns that he is a descendent of a group of hunters known as "Grimms," who fight to keep humanity safe from the supernatural creatures of the world.

This show looks promising and I recommend it for the horror fans.


American Horror Story (FX)

Hmm now this is what I call a psycho show. It is over the top. It is all over the place. It is campy. It is crazy. It is a lot of fun. Who would have thought that another tried and tested premise would be the hit show of this fall??

American Horror Story is about a baggage laden family who move into a haunted house for a fresh start. Well they didn't know the house was haunted really, but boy it sure is! The show delivers exactly what it says on the tin, and the story is actually intriguing. It also has a solid cast. Give Jessica Lange her Golden Globe right now. Constance is one heck of a character. HBIC for real.


Happy Endings (ABC)

Ugh! I stan for this show so much!
Happy endings revolves around a group of friends and their escapades. Yes it sounds just like 'Friends', but trust me its really witty. The cast work so well together. The characters and their deliverance are so on point, and the antics they get up to in every episode are really hilarious. Most times I can't wait for the next episode, and that isn't the norm for me for shows that don't have a running story line.

You may need to watch like two episodes and not just the pilot to really get into it, but once you do you'll be a fan (or maybe not. lol)


Revenge (ABC)

Revenge is a dish best served cold they say, and Emily Thorne sure is dishing it. Don't be fooled by the 'Brothers & Sisters' look of this show, there is enough conniving, bitchiness, blackmailing, and messing up (for the lack of a better phrase) to make Blair Waldorf blush.

Well you have to root for the main character really. After all the people that she is exacting revenge on destroyed her family.

You can't help but feel Schadenfreude-rific with this show.


Homeland (Showtime)

Is he or isn't he? Now this is one show you should start from the beginning. I mean its all about that question really.

Homeland centers on Marine Sergeant Nicholas Brody, who returns home eight years after going missing in Iraq, and Carrie Anderson, a driven and kinda unstable CIA officer who suspects he may have been turned and could be plotting a terrorist attack on America. Now is that a premise or what?!


Bob's Burgers (Fox)

Now this is on of those quirky cartoons you don't know about until its cancelled and then brought back to life after a lot of campaigning by the few fans. 'Bob's burgers' focuses on the Belcher family, who run a struggling hamburger restaurant. Hilarious stuff.


Falling Skies (TNT)

Just like 'The Walking Dead', this is a show that is more about the characters than the 'summer blockbuster' chaos going on around them.

Falling skies is about a group of survivors of an alien invasion that banded together to fight for their continued survival.

The CGI is a bit Meh but i excuse that as its a TV show and not a big budget Hollywood movie.


So if you watch any of these shows what do you think? And if you don't which do you think you may check out? Also, what shows do you think should be on the list?

2 comments:

  1. I think i'm going to check out revenge. A lot of people have been talking about it for me to continue to ignore.

    I love awkward. Can't wait for it to return...

    ReplyDelete