Saturday 31 March 2012

Feature Feature - Azonto


Yes I'm rather late on Azonto, the Ghanaian dance craze thats steadily becoming an international phenomenon. I actually got tuned in earlier in the year, but it wasn't until my recent trip to Ghana that I got the full effect, courtesy of my boy KOS (shout out to the #1 Azonto dancer!) and the fun Accra night life. Everywhere we went, from The Office to Labadi Beach, I saw people bursting into different versions of the infectious dance.


E.L - One Ghana (For Your Pocket)



Azonto is an expressive dance thats rather interesting to do and watch. It incorporates co-ordinated body movement, hand gestures, and non-verbal communication in a rhythmic fashion in very few one-two timed steps. It allows for personal creativity, with dancers re-enacting activities like boxing, talking on the phone, washing, ironing, driving, and other stuff.


Sarkodie Ft. E.L. - U Go Kill Me



Azonto is definitely giving Ghanaian music a bigger international audience, with the likes of Sarkodie, E.L., and R2Bees increasing in popularity. Even without knowing the dance, their songs are hot.

Get Familiar with some of my favourite tracks:

E.L. One Ghana (For Your Pocket)


Sarkodie - U go kill me oo


R2Bees - Ajei


Keche - Sorkode


Buk Bak - Kolom


Sarkodie Ft. EL - Dangerous


I know Azonto has not fully permeated the Naija scene, and quite a number of people don't know the first thing about it. So far the only time I have heard a Sakordie track in Lagos (at Likwid), there were only a few attempts at azonto, including me showing my sis...and they were woeful. So why don't we learn from the videos after the cut. I think the 'One Ghana (For Your Pocket)' vid above is a good video to learn from too. Those masked dancers killed it!


Azonto Dance Tutorial



Azonto Madness


Props to DjHuarache for the tracks.

source
source

No comments:

Post a Comment